10 Toughest Interview Questions
Adapted from Forbes Magazine
Surveys of typical interview questions reveal that these are the most likely ‘tough’ interview questions to arise in any interview. They may or may not be asked – if they are, you’ll be ready!
Word of caution: don’t over-rehearse or speak in generalizations or clichés. Be authentic, don’t just serve up what you think ‘they’ want to hear. Skilled interviewers will spot this quickly.
- Why should I hire you?
- Review job description and qualifications very closely to identify skills and knowledge critical to the position
- Identify experiences from your past that demonstrate those skills and knowledge
- Tell me one thing you’d change about your last job
- Be able to vocalise a problem. Why didn’t you correct the issue at the time? (don’t criticise a colleague)
- Tell me about yourself (likely to be a warm up question)
- Don’t meander. 1-2 mins at MOST. Cover 4 topics:
- Early years
- Work history
- Recent career experience
- Explain (blank) (such as a complex data base, hedge fund, mortgages, crypto-currencies) to your 8 year old niece or nephew
- What would the person who likes you the least in the world say about you?
- Highlight an aspect of your personality that could be negative, but ultimately positive ie impatience
- Tell me about a time when an old solution didn’t work
- Trying to identify how knowledgeable you are in today’s marketplace
- What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken?
- Have you had a supervisor, boss challenge a decision?
- Looking for humility, ability to take direction
- Describe a time when your team did not agree
- Quick description of the situation, what specific action did you take to get consensus, and result(s) of that action
- Why do you think you’ll be successful at this job?
Also consider the following:
- Do you consider yourself successful? Why?
- What inspires you in a job?
- What excites you most about this position?
- What would be a stretch for you?
- What’s the last really good book you read?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- If you were an animal, what would you be?